According to the official statement released by the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi on May 17th, 2022, 15% of the total seats at over 50 prominent engineering colleges are now reserved for NRI students and other foreign nationals.
As Notified by the Indian Ministry of Education, under the Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) Scheme, the Foreign Nationals (FNs) studying in any country (including India), wards of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and Non – Residents Indians (NRIs), can pursue Technical Education in India in National Institute of Technology (NITs), International Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions excluding Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
For the academic year, 2022-23 students will be admitted based on the ranks obtained in the National Testing Agency’s Joint Entrance Examination-Main (JEE-Main).
Around 5000 seats are reserved for NRI students in the UAE and foreign nationals who have completed at least two years of education in a foreign country, including 11th and 12th grades or equivalent (not beyond), in the previous 8 years and have a valid qualifying exam (JEE-Main) rank/score from abroad.
In addition, the DASA Scheme provides engineering aspirants with 3900 undergraduate and 1300 postgraduate seats with competitive and affordable fee structures.
- On the basis of the ranks obtained by students in the Joint Entrance Examination- Main (JEE – Main) conducted by NTA.
- 2 years of education (Inclusive of 11th and 12th or equivalent) in the foreign country in the last 8 years.
- Under the DASA Scheme, the Application/ Registration Fee is $300 and the Tuition Fee is $8000.
- SAARC nationals (with the exception of India) are eligible for a 50% tuition fee waiver.
- For M.Tech./ M.Arch./ M.Plan./ M.Des./ MURP, applicants must have completed a 4 or 5-year undergraduate degree in Engineering/ Technology or an equivalent in a comparable area.
- For M.Tech./M.Arch./M.Plan./M.Des., the applicant must have a valid total of 300 GRE Revised General Test Score (Verbal + Quantitative).
- Foreign nationals, PIOs, and OCIs who have completed an undergraduate programme in any country are eligible to apply (including India).
The DASA scheme requires a non-refundable Registration Fee of $300 and a first-semester Tuition Fee of $4000 for students admitted for postgraduation courses. Like the undergraduate fee structure, the foreign nationals who are citizens of SAARC nations are entitled to a 50% tuition fee waiver if they pass the qualifying test (as specified above) in SAARC countries.
As said by the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi “Boon for Indian students and foreign nationals.” A new gateway with more opportunities opens for many deserving candidates across the globe, thereby increasing the competitiveness of these engineering entrance exams and creating the need for thorough preparation.