The Joint Entrance Examination, also known as the IIT-JEE, is one of the most important engineering tests held in India for admission to various engineering colleges. It is the criterion set by the government of India for admission to various IITs, NITs, IIITs, and other prestigious engineering colleges across India. Indian engineers, particularly IITians, have long been renowned around the world for their exceptional achievements in a wide range of fields, making the country proud.
- Over 21 lakh candidates registered for the JEE Mains engineering entrance exam for multiple sessions.
- Indians account for roughly 30% of NASA’s scientists. As a result, many NRI students studying outside of India want to prepare for the JEE entrance exam in order to gain admission to India’s top institutes, such as IITs and NITs.
- The JEE is an excellent way for NRI students to gain admission to top science research institutes.
- The score obtained in the JEE-Advanced examination is used as the basis for admission at institutes such as the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs), the Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE), the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT), the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
As an NRI student, you must have some concerns and questions about quotas, admissions procedures, and criteria to secure your spot at the prestigious engineering universities. We’ll address some of the frequently asked questions by NRI students and parents about JEE eligibility, IIT admission for NRI students, exam preparation, and eligibility criteria.
FAQs of NRI students
1. Can NRI students appear for the IIT-JEE exam?
Answer: Yes, NRI students can appear and take the IIT JEE entrance exam only if they meet all of the qualifying requirements & criteria for JEE Main and JEE Advanced, such as age, appearance, and performance in Grade XII (or equivalent) examinations.
2. Is there a quota for NRI aspirants in IITs?
Answer: In IITs, there is no IIT NRI quota. NRI students must meet the JEE Advanced cut-off, similarly to Indian students, and admission will be based on their scores. For admission to IITs, students must first qualify JEE Main and then JEE Advanced.
3. How can I get admission into IIT as an NRI student? or What are the steps for an NRI student to enroll at an IIT?
Answer: Since there is no IIT NRI quota, the process/steps of IIT admission for NRI students is similar to Indian students.
- Apply to appear for JEE Main exam on NTA’s official website
- Appear for JEE Main exam and qualify the cut-off for JEE Advanced
- Register for the JEE Advanced exam on the IIT’s official web portal
- Qualify JEE Advanced exam with a decent AIR (All India Rank)
- Attend JEE counseling (JOSAA) and select the finest IIT according to your rank and cut-off
4. How many IITs are in India and what’s the total number of IIT seats available for JEE aspirants?
Answer: There are a total of 23 IITs in the country and the total number of undergraduate seats in all IITs is 16,234 (2021 data).
5. Can a student get admission in IIT without clearing JEE exam?
Answer: Yes, you can get into IIT without clearing the JEE exam, but only for courses other than B.Tech. For B.Tech, it is mandatory to qualify JEE Main & Advanced exam to get admissions in IIT.
6. Is there a quota for NRIs in NITs?
Answer: Yes, NITs, IIITs, and some other reputed institutes have certain reserved seats for NRI students under the DASA scheme. The DASA quota seats account for 15% of the total seats of the institute and the candidate’s JEE Main rank will be considered to determine his/her admission to DASA/CIWG seats.
7. What are the procedures for NRI students seeking admission to NITs?
Answer: NRI students have two options for getting admission in NITs:
#1: Apply, appear and clear JEE Main exam with good score & rank.
#2: By applying under the DASA scheme. For this also JEE’s Main score & rank will be considered but as 15% of seats are reserved for NRI students under the DASA scheme, the probability of getting admission increases here.
8. Are there any IITs located in foreign countries?
Answer: Currently No. IITs are located in India only but an agreement has been signed between Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Mr. Piyush Goyal and UAE delegates on 18 February 2022 to establish the first IIT in UAE. That means in the near future we can expect more IITs in foreign countries.
9. How many times can an NRI student attempt the JEE Mains exam?
Answer: NRI students are eligible to attempt JEE Mains twice in a year. For each attempt, candidates need to apply online by filling out the application form and depositing the examination fee separately.
10. What is the Gulf quota in India’s engineering colleges?
Answer: Gulf quota also referred to as CIWG (Children of Indian Workers in Gulf Countries) is a unique quota offered by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under the DASA scheme for the children of Gulf workers in nations such as the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iraq, Iran, Oman, Kuwait, and Bahrain. The gulf quota reserves 1/3 of the seats available under the DASA scheme in NITs, IIITs, and other prestigious technical institutes.
11. What is the best way for NRI students to prepare & crack JEE exam?
Answer: The best way to crack JEE entrance exam is – start your preparation early (preferably from class 11th) and join a reputed coaching institute like ALLEN Overseas. Our expert faculty, comprehensive study material, and unique teaching methodology will empower you to clear your JEE exams with your dream score.
12. What is DASA?
Answer: DASA is known as the Direct Admissions of Students Abroad scheme introduced by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, India (MHRD) for Foreign Nationals/Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)/Non- Resident Indians (NRIs)/ Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) students who want to enroll for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Engineering, Architecture Design, and Management Programs in India’s most prestigious and well-known institutions.
For admissions, applicants must fulfill the eligibility criteria of age, marks/percentage and need to have a valid JEE MAIN score.
13. Is it possible for NRI students to get into NITs solely through DASA?
Answer: No, NRI students cannot take admissions in the NIT NRI quota through DASA only, because now DASA admissions will be based on JEE Main score & rank rather than SAT score. Hence, candidates need to have a valid JEE Main score and rank to get admissions in the NIT NRI quota under the DASA scheme.
14. Is there a quota for NRIs in BITS?
Answer: No, BITS does not have an NRI quota. Only the BITSAT online test is used to determine admission to BTech/BE engineering programs at BITS-Pilani.
15. What is the fee structure in NITs for NRI students?
Answer: If you’ve secured your admission through JEE Main, the fee for NRI students in NITs is the same as it is for Indian students. However, you need to pay higher than the standard fee if you were chosen via the DASA system. Candidates for the CIWG would be required to pay the same fee as Indian nationals.
16. Will SAT scores be valid for admission under the DASA scheme in 2022?
Answer: No, from 2021 onwards, SAT scores are no longer valid for admissions under the DASA scheme. From 2021-22 onwards, DASA admissions will be based on JEE Main ranks rather than SAT scores
17. How do NRI students register for the JEE exam?
Answer: JEE exam registration process for NRI students are as follows:
- Visit NTA JEE Main official website https://jeemain.nta.nic.in/
- Fill out the registration form to complete the online application
- Download/take a printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
JEE Advanced registration starts following the JEE Main final results.
18. What are the chances of an NRI student passing the JEE exam?
Answer: The chances of NRI students qualifying the JEE exam depend entirely on their exam preparation and performance. If you have prepared with determination, consistency, and hard work, then you’ll pass the exams with flying colors.
19. What are the documents required from an NRI student to appear for the JEE exam?
Answer: Documents required from NRI students for JEE exams:
- Passport photograph & signature – Scanned and clear
- Grade 10th and 12th (equivalent exam) mark-sheet
- One valid ID proof
While appearing for the JEE exam, students need to carry their admit card and valid ID proof only.
20. Is it possible for an NRI student to take the JEE exam outside of India?
Answer: Yes, NRI students can take the JEE exam outside of India. NTA has set up JEE test centers in – Bahrain, Colombo, Doha, Dubai, Jakarta, Kathmandu, Kuala Lampur, Kuwait, Lagos/Abuja, Muscat, Riyadh, Sharjah, & Singapore.
21. How do I prepare for IIT-JEE as an NRI student in a Gulf country?
Answer: There are so many classes/coaching centers in Gulf countries that prepare students for JEE examinations. However, if you are looking for the best institute with top-class faculty, comprehensive study material, and a proven track record of success in JEE examination, look no further than ALLEN Overseas. Our interactive classroom program provides 360-degree support to students to ace competitive exams like JEE and NEET with their dream scores.
22. Do I need to relocate to India to prepare for IIT-JEE?
Answer: No, as ALLEN Overseas and several other coaching institutes are providing digital/physical classes in foreign nations as well, NRI students can prepare for JEE exams near their home location only, without relocating to India.
Hope these FAQs clarify your doubts and queries. In case, if you have more questions or need further clarifications about the JEE Main or JEE Advanced entrance exam, feel free to contact us.